Newspaper Archive of
Arkansas Catholic
Litlte Rock, Arkansas
November 22, 1924     Arkansas Catholic
PAGE 19     (19 of 28 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 19     (19 of 28 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
November 22, 1924
 

Newspaper Archive of Arkansas Catholic produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2018. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




THE GUARDIAN. NOVEMBER 22. 1924. Interior of Old Church steadfast to their religion, as well as materially helpful. Especial- ]y is this true with regard to the Ladies' Auxiliary--a society of women to whom the pastor owes no little thanks for the manifold activities they have fostered toward the upbuilding of the parish. New Catholic Chuvh, Hoxie, Ark. KNOBEL, ARK. Church, Hoxie, Ark. (Recently Torn Down). Weeks, from Little Rock College, Little Rock, where he It was during his pastorate that the old church immediately undertook the building of a new one. work on his part, and the generosity of the parish- he was able to successfully complete the en- Church was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. John B. Mot- 1914. Father S. J. Peoples was assigned to Hoxie, and still at the present time. The congregation had been during these years, and in 1923 it had outgrown necessitating the erection of a new one. In 1924, of ground was purchased in another section of the a new church erected at the cost of $20,000. At the hall was built. And the parishioners of Hoxie that, in the not too far distant future, they will a rectory and school. bears every evidence of considerable future de- is composed of a splendidly loyal congregation, Knobel was among the many missions hich Rev. John E. Weibel attended from the head mission, Pocalontas. In 1886 he conducted the first Catholic services ever held in the town, at the Loda Hotel. Before that time, the few Catholic families located at Knobel, were accustomed to go to Peach Orchard to Mass, which was attended by Rev. J. A. McQuaid. The first Catholic settlers at Knobel were Mr. and Mrs. Ber- nard Sellmeyer, who came here from Oldenburg, Indiana. Joseph and Henry Selhneyer followed soon after. From the time these people came to Knobel, up to the present date, they have consist- ently been of inestimable help to each successive pastor, and have championed the cause of the Faith through many difficulties. In 1901, St. Bernard's church was built by the Rev. John E. Weibel. St. Bernard's was an imposing brick structure, which fronted the main street of the town, and lent impressive dignity to the busy district in which it was located. At the time of its dedication, the Bishop of Little Rock, Rt. Rev. Edward Fitzgerald, hampered by a serious illness, was unable to perform the dedica- tory,ceremonies. Hence the Rt. Rev. Thomas F. Heslin, the, Bishop of Natchez, who on so many occasions during the illness of Bishop Fitzgerald, proved his magnanimity to the people of Little Rock Diocese, was called in to officiate. During the serv- ices, he spoke at length words of encouragement to the people of Knobel, exhorted them to continue in their present path, and highly praised the work they had already accomplished. ' The first resident pastor of 'St. Bernard's was Rev. Joseph | Schlatterer, who remained here from 1906-1916. The zeal and energy with which this man worked, and the constancy of loyalty and love which he displayed for his parishioners, is a record too lengthy and detailed to account. Suffice to say that in the decade which comprised his pastorate, he engraved a loving memory in / 6 him into I;. t ............. ""' "o ,wonuer, = v ...... , / d' nio, Texas, President oz vne  uth, nern, .... I a Medic ill, ,its countless pha,ses 1 ........... or some other [, **.. ...- ....... . ..^ z**.^,; ] to wlmessl carool-y a ....d_ed years, te,. .... ..... ,it means S Sl 0 Et is al :11 ie tO tiq | h t iI'l ta m In gt ,1 t il t m, h C or ',p 10 Ill a ,f' """ 0 "es ,'n! :te IS following"in the