Newspaper Archive of
Arkansas Catholic
Little Rock, Arkansas
October 24, 1998     Arkansas Catholic
PAGE 39     (39 of 124 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 39     (39 of 124 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
October 24, 1998
 

Newspaper Archive of Arkansas Catholic produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2020. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Co OF D AT OF ARMS TELLS STORY IOCESE MCDONALD FAMILY AND EPISCOPAL TITLE Coats of arrns are based on heraldic laws and traditions and are representative of an individual, institution 0r political entity, Ecclesiastical coats of arms are governed by regulations of the Vatican Secretariat of State. The coat of arms of Bishop McDonald represents the diocese (left side of shield), his family (right side of shield) and the episcopal title. left side of the shield bears the coat of arms for the The right side of the shield bears the personal arms of Little Rock. The diocesan arms are composed of Bishop McDonald, which is an abbreviated version of the Marian colors blue and white. They honor Mary as the quartered arms of the Gaelic McDonald family. of the United States under her rifle of the ~The Small reversed iCrSSes renresent St. Peter pope, in memory'of "ir~s Crucifixion with his head to the earth.~ The large white cross in the form of the letter X is the ~r0ss of St Andrew the Apostle, , ~h0 is the'titular of the dioce- s~ Cathedral and baptismal Patron of Bishop Andrew Byme, its t'trst Ordinary. ~rie star of six points is red from the coat of arms ~Ope Gregory XVI, who ,. blished the Diocese of ~e Rock on November ~:~ 1843. The star also ~r~rs to the State of ..~asas which displays s.C~cle of stars in its e~, albeit of five green pontifical hat with six tassels on each side disposed in three rows, along with the episcopal cross tinctured in gold, is the heraldic insignia of the rank of bishop by the instruction of the Holy See of March 31, 1969. Before 1870, the pontifical hat was worn at solemn cavalcades held in conjunction with papal functions. The color of the pontifical hat and the number and color of the tassels were signs the rank of a prelate, a custom which is still preserved in ecclesiastical heraldry. upper part of this side of the shield is also composed of Marian colors. The dove, the scriptural symbol of the Holy Spirit, the Giver of Wisdom, is combined with the crescent, the lunar symbol of the Blessed Virgin Mary to suggest the Mother of God as the "Seat of Wisdom," the patroness of St. Mary Seminary in Baltimore where Bishop McDonald studied for the Holy Priesthood. McDonald rampant. family lion within a cloud, the hand issues a red sahire which honors St. Andrew the Apostle, the baptismal patron of Bishop McDonald. October 24, 1998 39