Newspaper Archive of
Arkansas Catholic
Litlte Rock, Arkansas
October 9, 1915     Arkansas Catholic
PAGE 22     (22 of 44 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 22     (22 of 44 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
October 9, 1915
 

Newspaper Archive of Arkansas Catholic produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2018. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




: ,,.' 0 COLUMBUS DAY EDITION St. Mary's College Kentucky's Century Old Institution of Learning Is'the Alma Mater D b (By Win. G. Reekley) Founded in 1851, St. Mary's College, now so near its century mark, is one of tile pioneer colleges of the West and the third oldest of the many Catholic educational institutions of the country. During these many years it has dis- seminated knowledge and sound princi- ples of morahty among the youth of Kentucky and nnmy other States, an(l at times even attracting students from foreign countries. The great success which it has attained may well be gauged by tile number of distinguished men who claim it as their "Alma Mater," both those who have become eminent in civil life as well as numer- ous Clmrch dignitaries. Situated amid beautiful surround- ings among tim picturesque hills of Marion count),, surviving, growing through all the changing fortunes and vicissitudes of a hundred years, con- of Many Distinguished Men. A KNIGHT WITH stantly increasing in influence and effi- ciency, its sphere of accomplished good becoming ever wider and wider, tile history of St. Mary's College would furnish quite a vohnne of interesting reading, replete with many a whole- some lesson of noble zeal and persever- ance, those productive virtues which al- ways have wrought wonders in the worll. Tim inception of this grand institu- tion is due to Father Charles Nerinckx, a French missionary in Kentucky in the early days of the last century. He it was who first t)urchased three hundred and eleven acres of land, now comprised in the college grounds, for the purpose of founding a school for boys, and in 1819 lm went to Europe to seek finan- cial aid for the enterprise. But the credit for the actual found- ing of the college is given to Father William Byrne. For upon the return A I(ARE RFCORD. Among the Knights of Columbus i n the south the name of Ferd Kuhn is a household word and there is ample reason for it. Since July 1, 1899 he has been a Knight, and during all that time lie has been doing things for the good of the order. Ferdinand E. Kulm was born in Nashville, Tenn., where he has lived all his life, September 8, 1861. He is the son of the late Ferdinand and Barbara Miller Kuhn. He attended the paroclfial and public high school and later graduated from Notre Dame University. He is a successful business man being a member of the firm of Kulm-Coopcr-Geary Co., dealers in shoes and hosiery. On April 15, 1885 Mr. Kuhn and Miss Katie Wall, of Springfield, Ky.; were united in marriage and to this union nine children have been born, six boys and three girls. He has been a member of the United Order Golden Cross for 5 years; a Knight of Columbus 16 years; and of the National Union 10 years. " His K. C. Record. He was initiated in Louisville, Ky., July 1, 1899, being one of the first five south of that city to join the order. Was appointed by Supreme Knight Hearn as the first Territorial Deputy of Tennessee, and while in that office was given authority to organize councils in the various cities of the South. He in- stituted councils in Memphis, Knoxville and Chattanooga, Tenn. ; in Atlanta and Augusta, Ga.; Birmingham, MobileD and Huntsville, Ala.; ]VfeHdian, Miss.; New Orleans, La. ; also in Little Rock and Ft. Smith, Ark. He was at one time Master of elm Fourth Degree for Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas, but is at present, under the new revision of territory, Master of Tennessee. He was thb first State Deputy of Tennessee and held the office continuously for 10 years declining re-electlon. He is now the last past State Deputy. He has attended every National Convention of the order for the past 15 years and as a result is known from one end of the United States to the other. .IIe is at present President of the Anti-Tuberculosis League of Tennessee and is interested in other charities. He is known as the "Father of Knighthood" in the south. of Father Nerinckx, unsuccessful aml empty-handed, he found that Father Byrne had established the school in his absence. The twelve years' administra- I tion of Father Byrne was one of severe labors and of trials. Tbe college hav- ing no money endowment, the spectre of a depleted treasury loomed up more than once. Twice, too, was it destroyed by fire, and twice by his untiring energies and unselfish work did he raise it from its ashes, revivified, restored, re- strengthened. In 1852, he relinquished its control to the Jesuits, Father Peter Chazelle, S. J., becoming president. Tim Society of Jesus conducted the college in their customary excellent and thorough manner until 186, when it passed from their hands into secular management and diocesan authorities administered the business of the institu- tion until the outbreak of the Civil War, The difficulties and dangers of those trying times and the financial panic im- mediately following the war, closed the doors of St. Mary's College for a num- ber of years. It was not until 1871 that the college was re-opened, this time under the auspices of the Congre- gation of the Resurrection, in whose care it has remained to this day. Upon their assuming control, it required months of labor and a large outlay of money to put the buildings in repair after its years of idleness at the mercy of the elements and fury of the times. Father Louis Elena was first presi- dent under the new management, but he was soon succeeded by Father David Fennessy, "who held that eminent posi- tion for twenty-five years. During the hmg administration of this zealous and scholarly man, the college constantly grew, new buildings and improvements and conveniences being added from time to time. When he was forced to retire on account of the infirmities or age, his noble work was taken up by Father John Fehrenbach, and in 1900 by Father Mchael Jaglowicz, who is the present head of the college. He is ably assisted by. his life-long friend, Father Ignatius Perius, who, in the capacity of vice president, has been of untold benefit to the college and to its students. During the many years of its exist- ence, St. Mary's College has always sought to upbuild and maintain the high standard of education and moral training for wlfich it is now so well known. At present it is one of the best colleges of the country for equipping young men with knowledge and sound principles for the various activities and professions of life. The Fathers and professors of the college form a teach- ing staff adequate and efficient, and are all men of talent and experience, devoted to their calling and having the welfare of their charges sincerely at ]mart. This fact is everywhere recog- nized, as is evidenced by many Protest- tanfi and even some Jewish parents con- tiding their sons to the solicitous care of these scholarly men. The buildings and equipment of the college are a model of their kind. The buildings include a chapel, a large auditorium, an up-to-date gymnasium, and the various study, dormitory and refectory buildings, all steam heated and lighted by electricity. Everything i conducted in a high-class manner and the courses are thorough; conditions are sanitary and the location healthful. Tlm college is chartered and empowered to confer degrees. Among the many famous men who are numbered among the alumni of St. Mary's College may be mentioned Lucius Q. C. Lamar, at one time Judge of the Supreme Court ; the late Theo- dore O'Hara, author; Richard E. Queen, the California millionaire and philanthropist; the I-Ion. Ben Johnson, Congressman; Thomas C. Mapother, vice president of th6,Louisville & Nash- ville railroad; Thomas Walsh, lawyer and poet; Dr. William H. Wathen and Dr. Irwin Abell, physicians who have attained prominence. Among the American church digni- taries now living who have studied at St. M)ary's may be named the Most Rev. John L. Spalding, Titular Arch- Bishop of Scitopolis; the Re. Rev. John P. Farrclly, Bishop of Cleveland; the Re. Rev. P. J. Muldoon, Bishop of Rockford; the Re. Rev. J. B. Morris, Bishop of Little Rock; the Re. Rev. Paul P. Rhode, Bishop of Green Bay; and the Very Rev. August Mosser, C. R., procurator general of the Congre- gation of the Resurrection ; besides n,any other notables of the Church who have already passed into the "great beyond." In your quiet homes reflect that )'our peace was not won for you by your own harms, maybe, but by theirs who jeopardized their lives for you. NAZARE TH A CADEMY, Nazereth, Ky. Conducted by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. Affiliated with the Catholic University of America, and the University of Kentucky. Courses Thorough. Methods Progressive. Excellent Advantages in Music and Art. This Institution, one of Kentucky's famous boarding schools for girls, is situated on the L. & N. Railroad, two miles from historic Bardstown and thlrty-eight miles from Louisville, the metropolis of the State. The climate advantages of the location can hardly be surpassed. Free from the ex- tremes of heat and cold, as well as from malarial influences, the atmosphere is pure and invigorating at all seasons, affording opportunities for open-air exercise almost any day of 'the year. Parks and groves, shaded avenues, golf links, and an extensive campus furnished with basket ball, tennis courts, etc., add to the attraction of art out-door life. The buildings, with a frontage of a thousand feet, too extensive o be represened in a single picture, contain study and class rooms, laboratories, libraries, music rooms, dormitories, refectories, recreation halls, a spacious auditoium and a fine museum, all arranged with a view not only to the physical comfort and convenience of the students but to what is best and lfighest in education. Terms moderate. For catalogue, address THE DIRECTRESS, Nazareth, Kentucky.