Newspaper Archive of
Arkansas Catholic
Litlte Rock, Arkansas
September 30, 1938     Arkansas Catholic
PAGE 1     (1 of 8 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 1     (1 of 8 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
September 30, 1938
 

Newspaper Archive of Arkansas Catholic produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




By The Sentry is the month of Jmt A Thought Tune in the "Catholic Hour" Sunday, 5 p. m. and hear lead- ing Catholic speakers broadcast subjects of universal interest. THE OFFICIAl. ORGAN OF THE DIOCESE OF LrFFLE ROCK LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS, SEPTEMBER 30, 1938 No. 43 This devotion has Volume XXVII Inarvelous results both terial and spiritual or- used by St. Dominic Albigensian heretics of Murct in 1213, effect. Later it was by the Confraternity of Rosary to bring about naval victory of by Don John of Austria TUrkish fleet. Many instances of this kind enumerated but the lad victories that the Ros- brought into the lives of and individuals are un- and are known only to is impossible to say when first used to count early Christians used were later strung and used as a help in prayers that were The Rosary is a special devotion to the Blessed Because it is both IJrayer and a meditation to all classes of Chris- by be profitably used Ilnlettered as well as by The repetition of the has been severely by those who are un- With the motive behind OLIVETAN SISTERS OBSERVE ANNIVERSARY Sisters of jw,00rcy Receive Felicitations From Pontiff Hot Springs--His Holiness, Pope Plus XI, through Cardinal Pacelli sent his blessing and congratula- tions to the Sisters of Mercy and His Excellency in a cablegram read by the Bishop at the Solemn Pontifical Mass held at St. Mary's church in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the found- ing of St. Joseph's infirmary in Hot Springs. His Eminence Cardi- nal Pizzardo, a very close friend of the Bishop like,vise sent his felicitations. His Excellency, the Most Rev. Arkansans Plan Even the ordinary to hear her namelM d T the child of her bosom, otorca e o she never tires of the so the Mother of God NCCW C her children repeat onvention Liftle Rock.--A motorcade of Catholic women from Arkansas will attend the eighteenth na- tional convention of the National Council of Catholic Women to be held October 22-26 in Biloxi, Miss. The convention headquarters are the Buena Vista hotel in Biloxi. The convention offers to Ar- kansas women an unusual op- I portunity to meet with Catholic leaders from all parts of the United States, following, as it does, so closely the Eucharistic Con- gress to be held October 16-20 in New Orleans, La. Nationally known speakers will be listed on the programs. Regis- tration fee is $1 per person. Special rates are in effect at all hotels m or near Biloxi for this meeting. Special rates for transportation may also he obtained. Detailed information concerning the convention may be obtained from the various officers of the Arkansas branches of the council. These officers have asked that those wishing to make this trip to the convention to contact them as early as possible in order that Ar- kansas may have excellent repre- .sentation at this meeting. "The fact that the convention is to be so near us should be an incentive to every Arkansas mem- ber of the Council to attend," one officer said last week. In addition to the business, re- ligious and regular convention af- fairs planned, several social events will add to the interest of the meeting. Bishop O'Hara To Address Convention and that of her Divine devotion to the Holy thrive not only but at all times. as a family ' What could be more to Christ and His Bless- than to see Christian in the home recit- In this day when beset the family, and propitious that re- had to this great and lrayer. It has done it.can still do the month of Oc- at other times during also, Catholic fathers and Who are really sincere in to rear good Catholic Will gather them about recite the Rosary in the This custom will upon the ram- the members strength Catholic lives. Seminary has begun ear's work. It is hard of the older generations the gigantic strides that has male. Shortly to Little Rock, Bish- S decided that if real pro- to be made in this dio- bust promote native vo- i the priesthood. Nor did detract in the slightest the noble work that done by the pioneer other, countries and sections of this coun- been the history of f the faith from apos- that first came the to be succeeded by were the fruit of their It is the sign of religious condition, when VOcations are numerous Only when this the Catholic people of be said to have grasp- of the faith. It from the first few stu- attended St. John's the present large on- progress was slow. a diocesan student himself to the Bishop, long time he had to rely who came from the centers. Not so seed is waxing strong. mtmber of young men have been or- are doing the Lord's native heath. This one-third of body at the seminary diocese of Little Rock. twelve new students those already enroll- prospects are getting year. Surely Bish- has been singularly God. To have a vision Its accomplishment is thing. To live to tome true is a prlvi- teanted to many. The this diocese should be grateful to the Bishop Drlests who have as- in this difficult work. lrosper the work in the lle has In the past, so leople will reallze the of the seminary. the schools have re- Streets are filled with certain times of the have a serious ob- P"otect the lives of on Page 5) New Orleans. (lC}.--The Most Rev. Gerald P. O'Hara, Bishop of Savannah - Atlanta, has accepted the invitation to be one of the ;speakers at the annual meeting of the Southern Conference of the American Catholic Philosophical Association, here December 3. He will speak at the banquet. "The Philosophy of the Mind," general subject for the annual meeting, was chosen through a poll on subjects in which the members have greatest interest The Ray. Edward F. Murphy, S S. J., New Orleans, is president of the conference. Mass Is Chief Event Of Harvest Feasts Paris. {E).mChristian fetes of the harvest were held by the Christian Association of Farm Youth in all sections of France. Everywhere the Mass was the principal event. One of the most complete pro- grams was that in the village of St. Etienne-du-Bols in the Dio- cese of Belley. The Mass was celebrated in the open air since it would have been impossible to accommodate the 10,000 present in the church. The Bishop of Bel- Icy blessed the fruits and seeds brought before him. In the after- noon a procession was held, a feature of which was the repre- sentation of the planting and leaning of wheat, and its final appearance on the dining table as bread and in the Mass as the Eucharist. James A. Duffy, retired Bishop of Grand Island, Nebr.,. who resides at the infirmary, delivered the principal address. His scholarly The complete text of Bishop I Duffy's sermon appears on Page 6 of this issue. and beautiful sermon showed deep and great appreciation of the work and success of the Sisters of Mercy at St. Joseph's. Some of the facts of St. Joseph's history are told for the first time in his address. His tribute to Sister Mary Bernard, superior, was a grand acknowledgement of a courageous and untiring character. Bishop Morris in his few words heartily endorsed Bishop Duffy's tribute to the Sisters. He said that his first half-day in Arkansas was spent at St. Joseph's Infir- mary, May 13, 1906. He spoke of the kindness that the Sisters had shown Bishop Fitzgerald who had spent the last seven years of his long episcopate at their infirmary. He thanked them for this kind- ness towards his predecessor. Assisting Bishop Morris as cele- brant of the Pontifical Mass were the Rt. Rev. Msgr. Albert L. Fletcher, V. G., assistant priest; Very Rev. Monsignors Francis A. Allen and Joseph A. Gallagher as deacons of honor; Rev. John B. Scheper and' Rev. Jos. A. Murray as deacon and sub-deacon respec-i ripely; and Very Rev. Msgr. John: J. Healy and Rev. Francis S. Guy as masters of ceremonies and as- sistant. Students of St. John's Seminary filled the minor offices of the Mass. Present in the sanctuary were the Rt. Rev. Abbot Burgert, O. S. B., of Subiaco; Rt. Rev. Msgr. James P. Gaffney, Rt. Roy. Msgr. Win. J. Carroll, Very Rev Msgr. A. P. Gallagher, Very Roy. Greg- ory H. Keller, Rev. A. Demurger Very Rev. Chas. B. McCoy, Roy. Thos. Walshe, Rev. Thos. J. Pren- dergast, Roy. Edward P. Garrity, Rev. Joseph M. Burns, Roy. Law- i rence Maus, Roy. Peter J. Ward of St. Louis, Rev. Thos. L. Keany, :and Rev. John W. Barrette of Chicago. The procession formed at the hospital and proceeded to the church. Afterwards the proces- sion returned to the infirmary where a reception was held by the Sisters of Mercy for the many visiting priests and nuns. A din- ner was given the visiting clergy at noon in the main dining room. An honored guest at the dinner was Mr. B. E. Sunny of Chicago, a great benefactor of St. Joseph's. Bishop Morris introduced Mr. Sunny at the dinner and he gave a delightful and interesting ac- Goes to Louvain count of his connection with the hospital. The celebration for the visiting nuns took place on the following day. Oueen Mary Visits Catholic Exhibition London. {lO.Queen Mary stay- ed beyond her scheduled time when she visited the Catholic Pa- vilion at the Empire Exhibition at Glasgow. Her Majesty walked through the entire building and showed inter- est in all she saw. She first visit- ed the Oratory, dedicated to Christ the King, and asked about the na- ture of the services held there. The Queen expressed her ad- miration of the Stations of the: Cross, was interested in several i historic exhibits, inquired about the work of the Apostleship of the Sea ,and paid close attention to the missionary section. Queen Mary has lately shown interest in several spots of Cath- olic inferest. Some months ago she visited St. Mary's Training School, Strawberry - hill, near here. It was once the famous home of Horace Walpole. More recently she visited the convent of the Holy Sepulchre at New Hall, Chelmsford. And the other day, it is only just revealed, she looked in at Buckfast Abbey during visit to Devonshire. The Ray. Harold A. Gander, for- marly assistant pastor of St. Phil. omena's Church,: Cleveland, who has Just sailed to take up his duties as Vice Rector of the American College, Louvain, Bel- gium. He was ordained at the American College in 1932. (HgUo P0rtratt to.) Sails to Become Vice-Rector At Louvain Univ. Cleveland. (I).The Rev. Harold A. Gander, whose appointment as Vice-Rector of the American Col- lege, Louvain, Belgium, was an- nounced earlier in the year, sailed from New York yesterday to as- sume his duties. Native of Canton, O., son of Mr. and Mrs. William E. Gander, members of St. Joseph's parish, Father Gander comes from a fam- ily of pioneers in the faith, his grandfather having been a found- er of St. Peter's parish in Canton. Father Gonde.r made higher studies in the institution to which he is returning and in the chapel of which he was ordained in July, 1932. Soon after his return he was appointed assistant pastor of St. Philomena's parish, East Cleve- land, where he had since been stationed. Pontiff Urges Prayers For Europe's Peace Vatican City. (E).It is the earnest desire of His Holiness Pope Plus XI that in these days of great trepidation the faithful pray fervently to Our Lord, Who holds in His hands the hearts of men and the events of the world. In conformity with this de- sire, His Eminence Francesca Cardinal Marchetti-Selvaggi- ant, Vicar General of His Holi- ness for Rome, has ordered that next Sunday an hour of adoration, reparation and sup- plication for peace be observed in all the churches of Rome. Receiving in audience at Castelgandolfo on Wednesday a group of pilgrims from France and some residents of the City of Rome, Pope Plus said: "we live our fullest bless- ing to all of France and to all Europe, so threatened in this moment. "we hope in the mercy of God. We hope that all these threats, these fears that hang over Europe may disappear, and We hope because the good God with such solicitude has recommended us to pray- er, which is the voice of hope. It is always necessary to pray without ever tiring, to pray hoping, to pray always, and to pray with great humility and confidence." Military Memorial Mass for Card. Hayes New York. (.mCardinal Hayes 'qabored for God alone, and every single action of his eminent life proceeded from the motive of giv- ing praise to God," the Rev. Vin- cent Hart, S. J., Rector of Saint Xavier's Church, declared at a a Solemn Military Memorial Mass for the Cardinal. New Scholastic Year Opens At Seminary Little Rock.  Ninety students from 12 states assembled in the major seminary chapel at 8 p. m., September 22 for the open- ing of St. John's Home Mission Seminary. The Rt. Roy. Msgr. James P. Gaffney, rector, wel- comed the students and was cele- brant at Benediction of the Most Blessed Sacrament, the first exer- cise of the scholastic year. Registration of both old and new students took place on Friday. It is indeed pleasing to note that the number of native vocations continue to increase in all of the dioceses served by the seminary. Last spring at the request of His Excellency, a novena for na- tive vocations, was conducted throughout the diocese. It is very 50th Year Commemorates IEstablishment in Diocese Pontifical Mass Will Be Celebrated By His Excellency; New Addition To Chapel Will Be Blessed Jonesboro.On Monday, October 3, the Olivetan Bene- dictine Sisters will celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of their establishment in the Diocese of Little Rock. His Excellency, the Most Reverend Bishop John B. Mor- ris, D. D., will celebrate. Pontifical Mass at 9 a. m., and bless the new addition to the Convent Chapel at Jonesboro, Ar- kansas. The public is cordially invited. Just 50 years ago, a little log cabin of Pocahontas, Ar- kansas, prominent in the local history of the Civil War, became the first habitation of settlers who were to join the ranks of the valued heroic makers of later Arkansas history. A few residents of Pocahontas and Jonesboro will remember these Bishop to Bless NewAuditorium gratifying to learn that 12 00lAt Jonesboro students, natives of this state, studying for this diocese, entered Jonesboro.--The New Blessed Sacrament Church Auditorium will be blessed October 2 by His Excellency. The formal opening will be made October 3 with a formal dinner celebrating the fifth anniversary of the New Blessed Sacrament church, and the golden jubilee of the Olivetan Benedic- tine Sisters of Jonesboro. In the evening at 7:30 the parochial school children, jointly with the nurses of St. Bernard's training school and the pupils of Holy An- gel's Academy will present in pageant form the history of the development of the Church, Con- vent and Schools of Eastern Ar- kansas. Several of the older mem- bers of the parish will be called upon to recall the early ex- periences in this section of the State. The public is invited. British Mediator Guest Of Prague Cardinal Prague. (.Britain's mediator in the Sudeten negotiations, Vis- count Walter Runciman, and Lady Hilde Runciman were week-end guests of His Eminence Karel Cardinal Kaspar, Archbishop of Prague. Lord and Lady Runciman were invited by Cardinal Kaspar to visit the summer residence of the Prague Archbishop's at Brezany. The British diplomat and his wife were guests of the Cardinal at a dinner in their honor. Dur- ing their sojourn three flags were hoisted on the castle's spire: Pa- pal, British and Cezchoslovakian. Lord and Lady Runciman are Catholics. Rockefeller Sees Peace Symbol at Rheims St. John's Home Mission Semi- nary this fall. This year three nev members were added to the seminary fac- ulty, the Very Rev. Msgr. John J, Healy, spiritual director, the Rev. William Galvin, who will as- sist Rev. Francis S .Guy in the preparatory seminary, and the Rev. James Allen, musical di- rector. A High Mass marking the open- ing of the scholastic year was celebrated Sunday by the rector,! Monsignor Gaffney, in the semi- nary chapel. Plan Church As Memorial To Card. Hayes New York. (E).- When plans were made for a new St. An- drew's Clmrch on the site of the birthplace of His Eminence Pat- rick Cardinal Hayes, it was saic that the new edifice would be a "shrine to a living Saint." On January 1 of this year the old' St. Andrew's was razed and the new church started. Work had been rushed so that the upper church would be completed by Novem- ber 30, when Cardinal Hayes was to have dedicated it. Now it will be the first memorial church to the "Cardinal of Charities." St. Andrew's faces Duane street and extends back along what was formerly City Hall Place but, since 1932, is Cardinal Place, in honor of the late Cardinal. The old church, erected in 1817 by the Universalists and remodeled into a Catholic church in 1842, extend- ed to 13 City Hall Place. Number 15 was the home of Daniel and Mary Hayes and it was there that Patrick Joseph Hayes was born on November 20, 1867. In Number 17 'lived Mr. and Mrs. James Egan, uncle and aunt of Patrick Hayes, with whom the boy resided after the death of his mother when he was only five years old. The homes were destroyed in 1928 to make room for a new Fed'- eral building. In 1932, after years of struggle to save the entire prop- arty from condemnation for use :plans were made for a new church the sanctuary of which would b on the site where Cardinal Hayes was born and spent his youth. A tablet will commemorate the birth- place and the words upon it are those that were written by the Cardinal himself. They are: "Patrick Cardinal Hayes, fifth Archbishop of New York, was born on this site November twentieth, 1867." The new St. Anthony's will be colonial style. Over the left portal will be the coat of arms of Cardi- nal Hayes. That of the Pope will be over the center door and that of Archbishop Hughes, first Archbishop of New York, will be over the right portal. Above these will be the coat of arms of Saint Andrew, supported by two angels. Paris. 00.His Eminence Em- manuel Cardinal Suhard, Arch- bishop of Rheims, has received a letter from John D. Rockefeller American financier whose phil- anthropy helped to make possible the restoration of the war-torn Cathedral of Rhetms, expressing his regret at being unable to at- tend the inauguration ceremonies. "May this great Cathedral," Mr. Rockefeller wrote, "remain for fu- ture generations the symbol of human brotherhood under the pa- ternal protection of God. May its work be continued in peace among men of good will. This is my dearest wish." early days. They will recall the lack of good roads, of any kind, the few industrial enter- prises, and the absence of schools and churches in this district. It was to this uncultivated and sparsely settled country that the Rt. Rev. Bishop Fitzgerald' of Lit- tle Rock, called the Benedictine Sisters from Clyde, Missiourl. One of the four pioneers who answer- ed the call still remains among us to repeat the story of early days, and to compare the cultured city of Jonesboro to the rustic village, which it really was just 50 years ago. With a vast amount of energy and good will and the sum of 73 cents, the Sisters took possession of the log .house, which had re- eeived a new coat of paint inside and out in honor of the new oc- cupants. In January, 1888, the Sisters opened their first parochial school, which was well attended by both Catholic and non-Catholic pupils. From these small beginnings the Olivetan Benedictine Sisters have steadily added new members and new enterprises to their institu- tions until today the community numbers 140 members and con= ducts schools throughout north- east Arkansas as well as a grade and high school in Texas number- ing alone over 300 students. To the many friends and patrons of the Sisters in Jonesboro and surrounding towns the institu- tion needs no recommendation. Since the opening of their first school in Jonesboro in 1889, the northeast Arkansas has never ceased to benefit from their resi- dence here. Students of the gram- mar grades were received regard- less of religion, as long as accom- modations could be provided, and in the case of poorer students, no tuition has ever been asked from that time to this. It may seem singular to some to note that the Catholic church and school in Jonesboro were Sit- uated on Cats avenue, where a house for the Sisters had also been erected. In 1889, these three buildings were struck by llghtnlnL and it seemed as though the al- ready poverty-strlcken commu- nity, who was struggling against such great odds, would be cn- pletely powerless to continue their work in the education of youth. But the energetic pastor, the Very Rev. Dean J. E. Weibel, was not to be discouraged, and began at once to seek another location for his buildings. He found a desir- able plot, two acres of groun within two blocks of the court- house, and at that time far out from the business section of the small town. Two-thirds of this property was bought by the Sis- tots, and the motherhouse of Hty Angels convent then came into ex- istence in Jonesboro. The community was gaining new members and began to gx'ow. Poverty, however, was still ex- treme. The Sisters slept on home- made cots with mattresses of corn shucks, and food was of the poor- est. However, they were satisfied with tea and coffee without sugar or cream, bread without butter, and work without sleep, for in those days the Sisters cared for many sick in their homes, and night after night was spent earing (Continued on Page 8)