Newspaper Archive of
Arkansas Catholic
Little Rock, Arkansas
August 12, 1990     Arkansas Catholic
PAGE 14     (14 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 14     (14 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
August 12, 1990
 

Newspaper Archive of Arkansas Catholic produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2020. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




PAGE 14- ARKANSAS CATHOLIC AUGUST 12, P& II III II P II 11 I IL 11 iiii By Jane Browning Special to Arkansas Catholic Soaring 70 feet into the air, the cross of Our Lady of Fatima Church beckons worshippers in Benton. The cross itself is 15 feet high and surmounts a 55-foot bell tower, which houses a 310-pound bronze bell, a memorial to Dr. and Mrs. Dewell Bann. The first Mass in Church Extension Society. That gift was from the estate of Henry Hinch of Fort Smith. The site for the church, on West Cross Street, was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth CoffelL Branton Construction Company built the red brick church, the design of which stressed simplicity throughout. The interior is of brick and light oak Benton was celebrated in the Saline County Court House. Fifteen Catholics attended that service, offered by Fr. Neil Charles McGinnis on Sunday, Oct. 4, 1942. Ft. McGinnis would have the satis- faction of seeing that congregation grow and develop greatly over the 29 year course of his career as pastor of Our Lady of Fatima. In 1942, Fr. McGinnis was a mem- ber of the faculty of Catholic High School in Little Rock and at- tended the Catholics at Bauxite in ad- dition to those in Benton. Prior to these appointments, Ft. McGinnis was assis- tant pastor of St. Joseph parish in Pine Bluff. By June, 1950, plans were well under- way to build a $25,000 church that could seat 160 people. Faithful parish- ioners contributed many hours of do- nated labor to the project, and their generosity and frugal savings were aided by a gift of $5,000 from the Catholic Our Lady of Fatima finish, and the altar is made of Batesville marble. A metal steeple rises 30 feet from the roof. Bishop William D. O'Brien, President of the Catholic Church Extension Society, dedicated the Church on April 1, 1951, assisted by Bishop Albert L. Fletcher, Bishop of Little Rock. In November of that year, Fr. McGin- nis became the full-time pastor of the church, and a rectory was built and completed in early 1954. In May, 1957, a carved Italian marble statue of the Blessed Mother was in- stalled atop a metal platform which raises the statue to the ridge of the church building's roof. The statue it- self is seven feet high and is gold-leafed for increased protection against the weather. As the parish grew, so did the need for a school. Staffed by Olivetan Benedictine Sisters from Holy Angels Convent, Jonesboro, the new Notre Dame el- ementary school opened in the fall of 1959 with an enrollment of ap- proximately 120 pupils. Once again, parish members did much of the labor in building the school. Bishop Fletcher blessed and dedicated the school and blessed the bell tower on Jan. 27, 1962. The Rev. Henry J. Chinery served as pastor of Our Lady of Fatima Church during 1971 and 1972. In May, 1972, Fr. William M. Beck became the new pas- tor. He had taught at St.John's Home Missions Seminary in Little Rock for .eight years and then became superin- tendent of schools for the Diocese of Little Rock. By 1972, Our Lady of Fatima Church served 390 parishioners and had 80 pupils in the Notre Dame School. Today, there are 932 church mem- bers. Fr.James E. Mancini is the current pastor. In New York-- State grants con to Church-run agencies caring for AIDS vlt New York (CNS) - The state York has agreed after months oft tiation that it will not require agencies providing care to offer patients condoms paraphernalia, abortion, or other that conflict with Church policy. At the same time, the promised to give patients about off-site availability of activity, policy, practice or that they refuse to implement State Health Commissioner Axelord announced agreement "memorandum of understanding"* recent meeting of the state Council. The memorandum allows exernp for ~religious beliefs" or "sincerely moral convictions central to the operating principles." Agencies can propose a plan ing patients access to obj vices at some other locations, or the Department of Health can "through contractors of its Although agencies of the NeW archdiocese have provided an program of care for AIDS several years, the ne/:essary because new state effective last March 30 required range" of "family planningt and other sexually related health services." They also require agencies to late with each individual a "sexuall reduction and elimination a "drug use risk reduction and tion program." Glenmarians assigned to Arkansas missions Cincinnati, OH - The Rev. Frank Ruff, GHM, president of the Cincinnati- based Glenmary Home Missioners, has announced the appointments of Rev. Daniel T. Dorsey, GHM, and Rev. Del Holmes, GHM, as Pastor and Associate Pastor, respectively, at St. Mark Church, Monticello, Arkansas, and its sister mis- sions in Crossett, Hamburg, and War- ren. Dorsey, a 39-year-old native of St. Louis, Me, has been Director of the Rev. Dorsey, GHM Gtenmary Novi- tiate in Cincin- nati since 1983. He has also served in Morehead, KY. Ordained in 1978, he holds a Bachelor of Sci- ence degree from Loyola (New Orleans) University, a Master of Theology degree from Catholic University'in Washington, D.C., and a Licentiate of Sacred Theology from Gregorian University in Rome, Italy. He replaces fellow Glenmarian Rev. Jerry Dorn as Pastor of the Arkansas parishes. Holmes is a 65-year-old native of Cleveland, OH, and a World War II Navy veteran who has been working in the Glenmary Mission Office in Cincinnati for the past year~-He holds a Bachelor of Education de- gree from Mt. St. Mary Seminary in Cincinnati. Since his ordination in Rev. Holmes, GHM 1963, has served in Glenmary missions in North Caro- lina, Georgia, Virginia, and Kentucky. Dorn will reside in Monticello and Holmes in Crossett. Glenmary is a society of Catholic priests and Brothers serving the spiri- tual and material needs of the people throughout Appalachia and the rural South and Southwest. Members cur- rently operate 83 missions in 12 states, serving 15 dioceses, including the Dio- cese of Little Rock. Weekend cruise for marriage renewal A three-day Bahamas cruise will be the setting for a Marriage Renewal Weekend, Feb. 15 - 18, 1991, led by Dr. Larry and Martha Henderson. This get away weekend offers four group sessions for you and your spouse. Dr. Henderson, a licensed counselor, has a private practice in marriage adn family counseling. Martha Henderson, a social worker, is a freelance writer and certified in- terpreter of the deaf. She is the author of Being a Kid Ain't Easy and has published articles on marriage. For more information, contact Dr. Larry Hendersons, 1501 N. University - Suite 910, Little Rock, 72204, 664-3010 or 753-7575. Registration deadline is Aug. 31. The archdiocese has plans for stantially increasing its capacity to patients who do not need - skilled nursing for those who attention and residential for those require less. In a 44-bed unit of the Cooke it currently operates the only nursing facility in the state specifically to AIDS. The archdiocesan residential facilil open is a 14-bed unit operated by Teresa's Missionaries of Greenwich Village. l Richard J. Concannon, a lawyer I represented archdiocesan a Sisters of Charity agency plann AIDS facility on Staten Island, flaring the agreement was cause it dealt with "a lethal disease" "highly charged atmosphere." ~I'his is the first agreement in this~ covering this kind of service," he The legal principle of allowing provision of some requirements, he was the same one used to settle arJ lier controversy over birth abortion in church-sponsored foster t programs.