Newspaper Archive of
Arkansas Catholic
Litlte Rock, Arkansas
July 31, 1920     Arkansas Catholic
PAGE 19     (19 of 50 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 19     (19 of 50 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 31, 1920
 

Newspaper Archive of Arkansas Catholic produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




THE GUARDIAN, SATURDAY, JULY 31, 1920. PAGE NINETEEN OUR MOTTO--"Quality and Service" J 804 We Lead Others Follow If It's Electric We Have It and Repair Work Our Specialty 1102 Garrison Ave. H. P. ROSS, Manager Fort Smith, Ark. Boiler and Iron Works Steam Boilers, Smoke Stacks, Tanks all descriptions of Sheet Iron work Prompt Repairing A Specialty Boilers Bought, Sold and Exchanged 10th St. Fort Smith Ark. BEN KRIENER IRON WORKS Repairing Machinery of All Kinds PARTS MADE TO ORDER 1253 "Good Work" Our Motto. 207 South Sixth Street bore but grind automobile cylinders with a Heald machine. fi GRINDING CYLINDERS ,FORT SMITH, ARK. Savings Deposits Io save ? road to success and independence is to lay aside each month a specified amount. adopt tlis system and deposit your money with THE CITY NATIONAL BANK FORT SMITH, ARKANSAS original bank to pay 4 per cent interest on savings, three months ami when the three months are up account. draw the interest, the interest draws interest. START A SAVINGS ACCOUNT CITY NATIONAL BANK FORT SMITH, ARK. JOHNSON Ave. "THE BIG LITTLE STORE" Carries a complete line of Furnishings for MEN AND BOYS We Solicit Your Patronage BROTHERS Ft. Smith,Ark. St. Anne's Convent. it serves all alike who need care and attention. Its annual report sbows is conclusively. th"st. Edward's Infirmary is a two story brick building, {ttractive and homelike. It is surrounded by ample porches, on which convalescents de- light to linger. So popular is this in- stitution that even before entering its teens its patronage had outgrown its capacity. The need of more room is painfully felt and every effort has been made to devise ways and means of helping the Sisters to erect a suit- able hospital. As yet, however, the building of such a new fire-proof and altogether up to date hospital have been made and approved, and the friends and well-wishers of St. Edward's earnestly hope and pray that the long promised 'good time coming' may soon arrive and turn fond hopes into glad fruition." "The patients treated in St. Ed- ward's since its opening in 1905 num- ber 5,778. Of these 531 were Cath- olics, the others belonging to various non-Catholic religious denominations. Of the total number received into the infirmary 1,529 were charity patients. "The charity selwice is maintained solely by the annual allowance of the county and through the labors of the ladies' guild. There should be more general and liberal aid of the r doubt which is more happy, the giver or the receiver. Simultaneously with the organiza- tion of the guild was felt the need of a training school for nurses. Such a school was opened at the infirmary in 1906, under the auspices of the Sisters. It is conducted in an up-to- date manner, the pupils who take the course receiving the same training as given in large institutions in th cities. Lecturers are delivered by the infirmary staff of physicians, the head nurse or superintendent and on special subjects by visiting physicians and specialists. After a term of two full years nurses must pass a final examination previous to receiving di- plomas. The diploma must be sign- ed by the' president of the infirmary, the examining board and the superin- ten(tent of the Infirmary Training School. hnnmculate Conception Church and Its l)resent Pastor. In the most prominent place of Fort Smith, at the head of the principal busines,4 street of the city, stands the Church of the Immaculate Conception. When a cyclone had stl-ack the oll church and partly demolished it, in 1898, Bishop Fitzgerald made is easy for his lifelong friend, the venerable Street Scene in Fort Smith institution considering its service without discrimination." The kind but unknown friend who published the above paragraph in one of the local papers suggests "more general and liberal aid of the institu- tion," even while it was greatly help- ed by, the generous appropriation of the county, it is a matter of deep re- gret that the county appropriation has been discontinued. It ended with the year 1916. The sick poor still come to the infirmary where they are welcome and where they receive, all possible care and attention as long as they are in need of such. They are now supported "solely through the labors of the ladies' guild" and, of the Sisters in charge. It is evident that those who work for the poor are ani- mated by a very high motive, and that they regard their effols as a labor of love, else they would be greatly discouraged by the prevailing high prices and by the withdrawal of the county aid, for which they were so heartily grateful. Who will help make up for the loss of the. county aid ? "At an eaxly stage of the infirm- ary's existence it was found that the Sisters could not unaided support the number of sick poor who sought admittance. An appeal was made to the ladies of the city and they re- sponded with admirable promptitude : and generosity. ooo ooo oo00al DrYGarrisonGOOdSAve. C0" I "On June 29' 1906' they rganized a guild, taking for its patrons St. Vin- cent de Paul, that wonder-worker for the poor of France. Before the guild --""'''"'"" was a year old it had a membership Fort Slhith, Ark. of more than 200 and the number keeps steadily increasing. Owing to the act that there was another St. Vincent's guild in the city, and that, occasionally, the mails intended for one had, by mistake, been sent to the other, it was decided in 1908 to call the infirmary guild after the patron of the institution. Hence the name, St. Edward's Guild." The help which St. Edward's Guild renders to the infirmary is simply wonderful and its manner of bestow- ing is so graceful as to leave one in I:)IIY Goods, Ladies' Ready to Wear eri's F " " " uI mshlngs, Notmns, Toys . . M@chandise and Efficient Service have ar business to five States and a volume $2,000,000 per year. Father Lawrence Smythe, to replace it with the monumental structure. As if out of joint with the unwonted splendor the old patriarch, whose pas- sion had been to give way everything to the poor and to trust in Providence for the next day, was soon assembled to the fathers. He was succeeded by Rev. ,James P. Brady, who built the rectory on Thirteenth street. Since 1907 the Very Rev. P. F. Horan, D. D., has been pastor of the church. He has beautified its interior at a cost of $8,000, added a new roof and braces to the originally not too safe edifice. Rev. Dr. Horan's Leadership. Rev. Dr. P. F. Horan, pastor of the Church of the Immaculate Conception was born in Birr, Ireland, a little more VERY REV. P. F. HORAN, D. D. Pastor of Church of Immaculate Conception. than fifty years' ago. He spent some time with the late Monsignor En- right in art Irish college and studied four years in the American College at Rome and was ordained on the same day with Rt. Rev. John B. Mor- ris, D. D., who later became bishop of Little Rock. Rev. Dr. Horan had Choosing for all Time The choice of a Monument is a task that calls for the utmost care and precaution, because a selection once made cannot be changed without much loss and inconvenience. A Monument should have significance and dignity, and tell to futnre generations the reasons for its existence. In this respect we wish to direct your attention to our policy--and which has always been--to handle nothing but the leading granites and marbles known to the trade by experience to be the best--made up into designs em- bodying real works of art. Wait for our spring line of high class memorials which we will have on displa.y within a short while, including a stock of the famous "MONTICELLO GRANITE." Ft. Smith, Ark. 1005-1007 Rogers Ave. Established 1872 Sole distributors Famous Montello Granite Arkansas and Oklahoma SERVICE A business house which does not render a public service is a detriment to the com- munity. W. A. JOHNSON. FORT SMITH, ARKANSAS The House of Standard Brands For Expert Radiator Repairing--Auto Machine Worl} and Cylinder Block Reboring Visit T.he Co-Operative Service Co. 1209-11 Garrison Ave. Ft. Smith, Ark Phone 286 Headquarters for RACINE TIRES J. G. PUTMON FUNERAL DIRECTOR Funeral Home 815 No. B Phone 107 Joseph L. Lohmeyer, Mrs. oseph. L. Lohmeyer Assistant Lady Assistant Willard Service Station All Makes of Batteries Repaired and Recharged Factory Service and Parts for Delco, Remy and Klaxon. If your trouble is Electrical we can fix it. VAILE BATTERY CO. Cor. Rogers and Towson Ave. FORT SMITH, ARK. ;:.-,