Newspaper Archive of
Arkansas Catholic
Litlte Rock, Arkansas
July 31, 1920     Arkansas Catholic
PAGE 7     (7 of 50 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 7     (7 of 50 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 31, 1920
 

Newspaper Archive of Arkansas Catholic produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




L. // ECONOMY IN EVERY WAY k Reduces Costs Increases Profits T. H. SHARP, JR., Inc. State Distributors [1 W. Capitol Ave. Little Rock Arkansas' Largest Department tore Store---! [10N --Your every need can be met effi- ciently and economically by this Main ! :gr.eat store. Persons living outside of Little tk can secure exactly the same ldy service as if they were residents of rs this city by taking advantage of our SUt'! lIai! Order Depalment. SAS The Gus BIass Co. 4th and Main Streets Little Rock, Arkansas rare S ARE s Carefully Mad, Jobs Solicite ! THE GUARDIAN, SATUR DAY, July 31, 1920. and the vast Indian Territory, lying toward the setting sun. The latter re- gion was erected by the Holy Father, 1876, into a vicariate apostolic. A careful enumeration of the whole dio- cese in 1867 revealed the presence of scarcely 1,600 souls. These 1,600 were scattered far apart. A few small con- gregations had been formed at promi-! nent points in the state; none in In- dian Territory, whose population then was about 6,000. Days of Reconstruction. Although the Civil War was, in 1867, some time over, its dreadful hor- rors lingered in many shapes--in mu- tual distrust; in lawlessness and il the wholesale and serious depreciation 'of the value of property. The blunder- ing mode of reconstruction which was adopted by the United States govern- ment deepened the wounds of public [feeling and well-nigh obliterated all hope of permanent reconciliation. The native Catholics were not merely im- poverished, but disheartened. A1- *though settlers from the North and East began to come slowly into the state, few of them were Catholics. The population of the state, white and black, in 1870, was 484,481. Catholic Colonies. Through the effols of Bishop Fitz- gerald mTangements were made with the Fort Smith and Little Rock Rail- road Company, then building their line between the two points and receiving in part payment large tracts of land, to open these out for settlement, on favorable telaus, to German, Polish and other Catholic colonists. Several ;priests of the Benedictine order now arrived, and soon afterwards priests of the new Order of the Holy Ghost. Bishop Fitzgerald in selecting re- ligious orders for work in the state chose those that manifestly practiced poverty, not merely in spirit, but in deed. None of the orders that bask in the sunlight of 'the prosperity of large cities would be content to endure the unknown and unknowable privations of an Arkansas wilderness. His choice happily fell upon the first and one of the last elders established, the Order of St. Benedict, and the Order of the Holy Ghost. One of the objects of the latter was to evangelize the colored people, and nowhere outside of Africa was there a finer field of labor. The priests of St. Benedict had entered the unwholesome forests of Germany 1,400 years ago and transformed them into centers of civilization, and certainly Arkansas could present a somewhat better prospect. Beside the male orders of the Bene- dictines and of the Holy Ghost Fath- ers, Bishop Fitzgerald introduced into the diocese two distinct communi- ties of Benedictine Sisters, who are exclusively under episcopal jurisdic- tion-the Sisters of Charity of Naza- reth, Ky., whose motherhouse is lo- cated the latter place, and the Sis- ters of' Mercy, from St. Louis, who from 1901 to 1913 conducted a sana" torium at Eureka Springs. ville, Watterson and Neraz were also present. Bishop Fitzgerald was at the time of his consecration the youngest Bishop in the United States. Accord- ingly he was yet a comparatively yofng man when he had rounded ou his twenty-five years of his episcopal career. This event, his Episcopal Sil- ver Jubilee, was celebrated at the Cathedral of Little Rock, Feb. 2 1892. The Long Illness. Soon after his jubilee Bishop Fitz- gerahl had a call to the Diocese of Dallas, Texas, to assume charge of ecclesiastical affairs there from the resignation of Bishop Brennan, Nov. 17, 1892, till the appointment of Bishop Dunne, Nov. 30, 1893. For the rest his energy was devoted, with usual zeal and ability, to the temporal and spiritual needs of his own diocese, un- til a stroke of paralysis, Jan. 21, 1900, partially disabled him for active duties. This date marks the beginning of a long period of suffering for the vener- able Bishop. Retaining the care of the temporalities of the diocese he en- trusted the spiritual affairs to Very Rev. Father Kraemer, O. S. B., whom he appointed as his Vicar General May 1, 1900. The Coadjutor. As the years passed and the hope of recovery dwindled away with thft increasing burden of age, Bishop Fitz- gerald in 1906 asked for a coadjutor. Rome acceded to his request and the choice fell on the Right Rev. Mgr. John Baptist Morris, Vicar General of Nashville, Tenn. He was preconized Aprtl 18, 1906; consecrated June 11, at Nashville, set foot on Arkansas soi June 18, and went straight to Hot Springs to pay homage to his chief. The meeting between the two prelates wag very cordial. Technically Bishop Morris was Bishop of Acmonia and coadjutor of Little Rock, practically he was, by the voluntary surrender of Bishop Fitzgerald, Bishop of Little Rock fl'om the beginning of his episcopate. Henceforth Bishop Fitzgerald's mind dwelled wholly on eternity, which wa not far away. ! A little more than half a year was allowed .to the venelable sufferer for this immediate preparation. He died at Hot Springs Thursday, Feb. 21, 1907, at 9:30 p. m., being assisted in his last moments by ,Bishop Morris, Fathers Kraemer, Horan and McGill. The following Sunday, Feb. 24, the remains were brought to Little Rock by special train. Five thousand peo- ple had assembled at the Rock Island station to welcome what was mortal of their revered Bishop. Bishop Fitzgerald had an unusually, long reign of forty-one years. During that time he enjoyed the rare honor of taking part in a General Council of the Church. He was one of the Fathers of the V.atican Council in 1870. Again he was in Rome in 1883, representing Archbishop Leroy of New Orleans, in preparing, with the Arch- Fi i r .bishops of the United States, the The B;shop as a nance . I schedule of the third Council of Balti- Nor was it a small merit" of. Bmhop" I more. At the' latter Counc'l he was Fitzgerald's that he recogmzed thelone of the distinguLheds o'ators. advantage of and exercised his ex- By the death of Bishop Fitzgerald, traordinary business talent towards securing a solid financial basis for the future needs of his diocese. If anyo:ne is qualified, by reason of a close in- sight, to have a competent judgment Feb. 21, 1907, Bishop Morris succeeded ipso facto to the See of Little Rock. The new egime marks aft era of en- ten-prise. The late Bishop had been doomed to comparative inactivity for ion this phase of Bishop Fitzgerald's a number of years, dependent author- !administration it is his successor, and it- as vested in the Vicar General, he pays the highest tribute to the jhaY enjoyed no full scope of action. business acumen of both Bishop Byrne, I Meanwhile, however, the resources of who lai(! ,the foundation, aml BishoP]the diocese had kept on developing and Ft.zgeram, wno oral. upon tt wth un- ]times were yipe for achievement. For- failing success, like a wse architect, i_unatel th ii-ht man was at hand to t y e "g " Bishop Morris generously acknowl- take charge of these opportunities. edges that he owes to his two. illus-] The Present Diocese. trious predecessors what he has been " ,.^ .,.+ .....  ' " arv .............. [ Wh,,,  ...... s,,,,.',y - he mssmn . able o accomptmn in DUll(ring up (llO- _k^.  ;-- k. :l.l-- ,, tho n cean institutions I10o,' lit UIAII.IIlI t lJ .... vresent Dm- eese of Little Rock, which now covers St. Andrew's Corner-Stone. the State of Arkansas, is replete with Towards the latter part of the sev- matters of great interest, the achieve- enties the time was ripe for a new ments of Bishop Morris, since he sue- cathedral. The cathedral, Center and ceeded to the diocese, have been no Second streets, erected by Bishol) less remarkable than those of the pio- Byne, 1845, was too small in 1867 for the congregation Bishop Fitzgerald built a wing on the north side with a second story for the accommodation of the clergy. A school for boys was opened in another building on the grounds. The corner-stone of the new cathedral, Seventh and Louis!ana streets, was laid on Sunday, July 7, 1878, by Bishop Fitzgerald, Arch- bishop Ryan preached the dedication sermon. Bishops McCloskey, of Louis- neers, although built upon the foun- dations laid by them. The work laid out to be accomplish- ed by Bishop Morris in the future is broad in its program and" far-reaching in its benefits. His progressive spirit and far-sighted powers knows no stopping place until the work to be accomplished is clone. We may ex: pect to see great upbuihling in the ranks of the Catholic institutions in the next decade. SCENE ON TIlE OUACHITA RIVER PAGE SEVEN Train For Business MAKE YOUR SUMMER COUNT For Information as to Special Summer Normal Courses Address Draughon's Practical Business College 112 E. Capitol Avenue, Little Rock, Ark. Phone Main 1652 "Arkansas' Greatest School of Business" FRANK W. GIBB AND C()MPANY ARCHITECTS 225-7 Gazette Building Little Rock, Arkansas Eat Klean Maid Bread THE BREAD WITHOUT A FAULT Order from your nearest grocer Made by ROSE CITY BAKERY 1324 Main Street Phone Main 1155 R. G. Helbron 229 Gazette Building, Little Rock, Ark. BONDS AND INVESTMENTS Main 2019 Woodlawn 813 39 The Fair No. One of 46 Big Cash Stores of Arkansas--The fastest growing corporation in the State We have it for the whole family. Our prices always the lowest. 02-504-506-508 Center St. LITTLE ROCK o , . + , l, . + .. o o + + o; o , o o ,,+ * JOE P. GILMORE, Mgr. A.S. GARI)NER, Sec. Little R00ck Paint & Wall Paper Co. Wholesale and Retail Dealers in PAINTS, VARNISHES, WALL PAPER, LEAD AND OILS, BRUSHES Agents in Little Rock for the famous PEE-GEE LINE OF PAINTS i/:"