Newspaper Archive of
Arkansas Catholic
Little Rock, Arkansas
July 28, 1991     Arkansas Catholic
PAGE 6     (6 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 6     (6 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 28, 1991
 

Newspaper Archive of Arkansas Catholic produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2020. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




PAGE 6 ARKANSAS CATHOLIC JULY 28, 1991 By St'. FJ,genia Pelfia, RSM In the spring of 1901, two years after the town of Hartford was incorporated as a dry, Rev. A.P. Gallagher and the Catholic con- gregation of Hartford obtained from the Central Coal and Coke Co. of Kansas City a sum of money and the use of a tract of land measuring 50 x 150 feet on which to build the first church of any denomination in Hartford. SC Leo's Church was originally located on the Northeast comer of Locust and Ludlaw Sts. on Highway 96, dose to the line on Locust St. Later, when Lots 11 and 12 of Block 8 were deeded to the Bishop of Little Rock in 1912, the Church was set back 75 feet from Locust St., and the building was slightly enlarged to accommodate the congregation of predominatly Italian mine workers, along with some Scottish, Irish and Eastern European families. By 1918, Hartford's population of about 5,000 people included some 300 Catholics. But, with the advent of labor union restric- tions in the coal-min~ industly and the increasing availability of electric power and cleaner fuels, the coal company eventually withdrew its operation from the Hartford area. Many people were then obliged to seek their li~lihood elsewhere. However, a number of the original families have recently returned to live out their retirement years in Hartford. To maintain their builclMg in repair, St. Leo's parishioners mwoofed their church in 1933 during Rev. MichaelJ. Norton's 20- year pastorship fi'om 192646. Colored-glass St. Leo's, windows were installed, and a sacristy was annexed to the Church in 1948 while Rev. Joseph E. Milan attended the Hartford mis- sion between 194662, and both the inte- rior and exterior of the Church were painted in 1955. Again in 196809 there were exten- sive repairs to St. Leo' Two Benedictine sisters from St. Scholas- tica accompanied Milan to his Hmfford mission to instruct the children of the par- ish in their Catholic faith. Sisters of Mercy from St. Anne's and St. FORT SMITH SUPPLY Q Wood & Steel Furniture Computer Furniture SystemsFumlture Office Chairs :- 13 Total oject Coordination 13 InterlarD&sigh'Assistance 782-0311 Fax 782-5604 812 Garrison Ave., Ft. Smith Your One Stop Office Furniture & Supply Center" Mtke Cullen Bill Conroth Pot Cullen |HIPLEY BAKING COMPANY P. O. BOX 1026 FAYETTEVILLE, ARKANSAS 72702 # Let problem for you? you consider your options ... Catholic Adoption Services Sponsored by the Diocese of Little. Rock Call us collect, 664-0340 2415 North Tyler Little Rock, AR 72207 /Free confidential pregnancy counseling /You help select adoptive parents /Licensed adoption agency for over seven years O# g a tooing d, ice ux,men d,lem IR @ II I IL [I Hartford. Archh/es Edward's also went with their chaplains to continue the religious instruction on Sun- day mornings until about the mid 1980s. St. Leo's congregants comider themselves blessed to have maintained their parish church long after neighboring missiom have ceased to exist. Recent additions and im- provements, with Rev. Vincent E. Maguire as pastor since 1980, have been a source of great joy and pride for the Catholics of Hartford. A secretary for the Office of Religious Education is needed under the direction of Sister Maria Kleinschmidt,D.C. Responsibilities include providing all scretarial, administrative, and receptionist support for office induding those required for Religious Ed.,Special Religious Ed. and RCIA programs. Complete job description & application available on request. Send resumes to Sr. Maria Kleinschmidt, D.C. or call 664-0340. St. John's Catholic Center 2500 North Tyler Street Little Rock, AR 72207 In 1981, Bethlehem Steel Corporati0 granted the use ofl00 feet ofmuch-neede parking space south of the Church. In the early 1980s, St. Leo's accepte the addition of some fine pews, an orga and set of Stations of the Cross from S Michael's parish in Van Buren up0 completion of their new Church. The new parish hall building, adjoini~ the church sacristy, complete with indc~ plumbing and kitchen facilities, has been real delight to all concerned. .--. The building was slightly et larged to accommodate th, congregation of predominad Italian mine workers, along wid some Scottish, Irish and Fast European farmYfies. Sisters of Mercy of St. Edward's Media Center in Fort Smith recently donated tW stained-glass windows, one of St. Leo, p tron of the parish, which complements al five memorial windows in the Church. Tb sisters also gave four statues and carpeti~. for the hall and the church, which are bet equipped with central heating and air cot ditioning. Rev. ymcent E. Maguire, Chaplain ors in Edward s Medical Center, is currently ~ pastor of St. Leo's 36 Catholic families Hartford. an (St. Eugenia PeliOn, RSM, uMles from IJtt tel Rock.) an pL Arkansans attend CKA convention New Orleans - A mmfl~er of Arkansans ~ ad cendy attended the 44th national council meC st~ ing of the Catholic Knights of America held he~ to Representing the CKA from Arkansas wet Herbert Kordsmeier, Morrihon; Bill and Martt Hegeman, Gonway; Herman Lienhart, Littl Rock; Anna Vorster and Helman Font, Subiad A and Alicia Minden and Peter Vorste'r, Springdal' Also attending were Anna Marie Font, S~ ace; Donna Vorster, Springdale; Lea Lienh~ As Little Rock; Ted and Frances Hiegel, Conw~ he and Lorene and Eric Kordsmeier, Morrilton. lae Founded in 1877, the Catholic Knights t~ America serves its 14,000 members through t~ ligious, social and insurance progamm. The grot~ cit supports seminarian and Catholic high sch0t SI~ scholarships, rosary and Bible distribution art pro-life issues. # 1248 South 28th Street Van Buren, AR 72956 (501) 474-5036 FAX (501) 474-3911 Polyethylene bags Lmem Sheets BEN GOSEY, PRESIDENT