Newspaper Archive of
Arkansas Catholic
Litlte Rock, Arkansas
March 10, 1991     Arkansas Catholic
PAGE 6     (6 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 6     (6 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
March 10, 1991
 

Newspaper Archive of Arkansas Catholic produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




PAGE. 6 ARKANSAS CA'IH(XK2 MARCH 10, 1991 Dr, Mary gonovan to speak at Russellville Russellville- Dr. liver an address, "Women Feminine Dimen- sion of Church History," at 7 PM on Tuesday, Mar. 19, at the Parish Center at St.John's Church. Donovan's appear- ance, coaponsored by Arkansas Tech University, St. John's Catholic Church, and All Saints Episcopal Dr. Church, is part of Mary Donovan will de- and Religion: The Mary Donovan A TU's celebration of Women's History Month. Donovan, who earned her doctorate in history from Columbia University, is cur- rently the director of the Episcopal Women's Oral History Project," funded by the Lilly Foundation. She has published numerous books and articles, including most recently Women Priests in the Episcopal Church: The Experience of the Frost Decade, pub- fished in 1988. Donovan lives in Little Rock, where she has been an adjunct lecturer in history at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock since 1981. Her husband, the Right Rev. Herbert A. Donovan, is the Episcopal Bishop of Arkansas. Donovan's presentation is open to the public. A complete calendar of Women's History Month activities may be obtained by calling Bill Seidensticker at 968-0266. Communal penance service planned for parishes Norfla Little Rock- All parishioners of St. Palxic_k, St. Mary, St. Anne and Immaculate Heart of Mary parishes are invited to par- ticipate in a Communal Celebration of Penance to be held Monday, Mar. 18 at 7 PM. The service will take place at St. Patrick Church, 19th and Maple in North Little Rock. After hymns, prayer, Scripture readings and a homily, all will have an opportunity for individual confession and absolution. With several priests present, going to con- fession should take no longer than joining the long lines at scheduled confession times before Easter. Participants and priests from all the parishes are invited to enjoy fellowship at a reception following the service. Rev. Bernard Malone and St. Patrick's parisioners will provide hospitality and the reception; Rev. Scott Marczuk of St- Mary's parish will deliver the homily;, St. Anne's parishioners will give the Scripture readings; and Immaculate Heart of Mary congregants will provide music. We guarantee your satisfaction. And our experience in preparing complete and accurate tax re- turns will give you peace of mind. I'I .R BLOCI America's Tax Team -- Put us to work for you! By Sr. Eugenia Pellin, RSM Henry Miesner, Frank Fealy and Tho- mas lqynn, the first three Catholic settlers who came to the Charleston area in 1877, were soon to be followed by about 20 addi- tional Irish and German families from Illi- nois and Ohio. Through the efforts of these pioneers a priest came every month, offering Mass in the home of Frank Fealy until 1879, when a delegation went to Little Rock to see Bishop Edward Fitzgerald about starting a parish church in Charleston. To the bishop's question, "Are there Germans among your Catholics?" both Fealy and Flynn answered, '~es'. "Well, then you may start your church. If Germans are among you, they will be sure to see it through." That determination characterized the Catholics of Sacred Heart parish through depression, crop failure, low cot- ton prices and a destructive church fire in 1968. The people of Charleston donated the site and $170 in cash for the first small frame church, dedicated by Bishop Fitzgerald on Nov. 18, 1880. The first baptism was that of Mary Gilsinger in 1881.Joseph Buergler and Magdaline Giesler were the first couple married in the parish church in 1883. Priests from St Benedict's Priory attended the parish, with Rev. Sylvan Buscher be- coming the fn-st resident pastor. He started the parish school. When the next pastor, Rev. Ludwig Stutzer left in 1889, Sacred Heart ~as without a pastor until 1893 when the parish could again support a resident pastor. Beginning about 1890 there was a great influx of Catholic settlers, reaching a total of 50 families in the parish in 1904. At this time the property across the street from the church was bought and used for a rectory. It Rev. Anselm Kaelin, pastor, who first suggested building a stone church since the old frame church was deteriorating. He began a house-to-house collection for funds, and also ordered a monthly collection in the church. But after seven years of service in the parish, he was recalled to the Abbey to teach, and Rev. Boniface Spanke took over the problems of the building program. Parishioners hauled stone from the local quarry in horse-drawn wagons.John Freeze, stone mason, supervised the men setting the stone around the wooden frame. Sa- cred Heart parishioners celebrated the dedication of their new church as well as the 25th anniversary of their parish, on june 12, 1904. In 1912, the parish built a new rectory and convent for the Benedictine Sisters who operated the parish school. Electric lights were installed in all the parish buildings by 1920, the rectory was equipped with a orivate water system, and an addition was made to the school by 1927 under the guidance of Rev. Eugene Spies The depression years hit the parish hard and many Catholic families moved away seeking to better their condition elsewhere. By 1930, Sacred Heart's 50th anniversary, the number of families had dwindled to 30. But beginning about 1939, there was a gradual return of Catholic families until the parish again reached its former number of around 60 families. At a cost of $12,000 , the church was completely restored both interiorly and ex" teriorly in 1952. By 1954, all debts were teared and a new garage built for the pas- tor, Rev. Alphonse Mueller. After much study and prayer in the late 1960S, parishioners planned to build a multi" purpose parish hall and school cafetoriurn to meet the changing needs of this steadil~ growing parish. But no sooner were these buildings completed at a cost of $41,625 than on Palm Sunday in 1968 a fire broke out in the sacristy of the church, causing extensive damage to the entire building. In the restoration process several im- provements to the church were made, with all debts paid by 1972 under the pastorship of Rev. James Foley. When it became evident that it was no longer feasible to operate the parish school in Charleston, the Sisters' convent building was sold and moved, and the parish imple" mented the CCD program for all studentS attending public schools in 1973. Heart parish now numbers 160 familieS or 400 members. Rev. Bruno FuhrmanO, OSB is their current pastor. The parish dedicated a new parish hall Feb. 10th. (St. Eugenia Pellin, RSM, r.mites from Little Rx.k.) STAR BOLT & SCREW CO. INC. Industrial Fasteners and Supplies 500 North Olive St., North Little Rock 372-7127 or AR Watts 1-800-482-9023 Brenda Kent Lauraetta Edgar Gail Clayton Terry Kent Raymond Clayton Charleston Church, undated. DloceMn Arc~